Frequently Asked Questions





eWhat is a Forest School?

A forest school is a type of school where children learn mainly outdoors, in places like forests or woods. It’s different from regular schools because it’s all about exploring and having fun in nature.

Here’s what makes forest schools special:

Outdoor Learning: Instead of being stuck in a classroom, forest schools take place outside in natural places.

Play and Freedom: Forest schools let children decide what they want to do and play games. It’s all about having fun and learning at the same time.

Nature Connection: Children often visit the same outdoor spot many times to really understand and appreciate the natural world.

Safe Risks: Children are allowed to do things that might seem a bit risky, like climbing trees or using tools, but there are adults around to make sure it’s safe. This helps children learn to solve problems and be brave.

Nature Stuff: Forest schools use things they find in nature, like sticks, leaves, and rocks, to play and learn.

Exploration and Observation: Children are encouraged to explore and learn from nature by watching and touching things.

All Weather: Forest schools happen no matter the weather, so children learn how to dress right and deal with different seasons.

Being Friendly: Children also learn how to be good friends, work in teams, and understand their emotions by playing together.

Nature Love: Forest schools want children to love and take care of the environment, so they grow up to protect it.

Good Teachers: People who teach at forest schools are trained to make sure everything is safe and that children learn while having fun outside.

Forest schools are great because they help children learn by playing in nature. It’s not like regular school where you’re stuck inside all day. Instead, you get to explore, play, and discover the amazing world around you.

Are you Ofsted Registered?

Our Ofsted Registration number is 2544838.

How do I sign-up for my child to attend your nursery?

Please visit the Register Now page to register your interest and begin the sign-up process. All information regarding registration is listed on the website. We will endeavour to respond to you within 48 hours of receiving your registration.

Do I need to make an appointment to look around Wild About Play?

If you are interested in enrolling your child into our nursery, we strongly recommend attending an open day session first to meet the team and see what we do and how we go about enabling an enriching educational experience for our children.

Is there a minimum attendance you require?

In order to give your child the best chance of settling in, we ask for a minimum of two days per week for nursery children. This allows your children to get fully settled, and benefit from the outdoor education we provide.

Our holiday camps also have a minimum of two sessions attendance per week.

Are you part of the government’s tax-free childcare scheme?

Yes, we are listed on the Government tax free childcare scheme.

If you get Tax-Free Childcare, you’ll get an account. For every £8 you pay into this account, the government will pay in £2 to use to pay your provider. You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours of free childcare if you’re eligible for both. You can use tax-free childcare to pay for our nursery and for our after school clubs.

What Government funded hours are available to me through WaP?

15 hours universal entitlement:

If your child is between 3 and 4 years old, you should be able to access 570 hours of entitlement hours funded by the Government. This funding can be applied across the school terms (38 weeks per year) or stretched to cover a longer period of the year (51 weeks per year).

2 year olds:

Some two-year-olds in England can also get free entitlement hours funded by the Government if they meet this criteria:

30 hours (15 additional hours)

Households with working parents of 3 and 4 year olds are able to obtain an additional 15 hours of funded childcare provided that they meet certain eligibility criteria. We are happy to support this scheme to enable parents to access WaP quality child care at affordable prices for their children.

Do I need to provide new waterproof and winter clothing?

All children need to have suitable outdoor clothing provided in a rucksack. This is a necessary requirement and will be covered again during the registration process. Part of your registration fees will cover suitable waterproof trousers and waterproof jacket.

Additional items required include long trousers, warm clothing if cold, trainers if it is dry, wellies if it is wet and for most of the winter and spring months.

Holiday camp and after school club children need wellies, waterproof and warm clothing, After school club children will be given the opportunity to change at school, or on-site. A full list of required kit can be found here (link to kit lists)

Do you open for Bank Holidays and holidays?

We do not run term-time nursery or after-school clubs during school holidays or on bank holidays.
Our office is open during the school holidays between 8:30am – 6pm Monday – Friday.

How do I know about my child’s daily routine and what they are learning?

At the end of the day, our practitioners are more than happy to discuss the activities we have participated in. We will also provide you with a weekly wrap-up on our online communication system Famly, which will include a detailed write-up of the activities we have enjoyed and the skills they have learned and practiced.

This will be accompanied by photographs taken by our practitioners throughout the week.

What happens if my child is sick or injured?

We work, learn and play in the outdoors and strive to keep our setting as healthy as possible. Please help us to prevent the spread of infections and do not bring your child to Wild about Play if your child is sick.

When the cause of the illness is sickness or diarrhoea we ask your child to stay away for 48hrs after the last day of illness. We are unable to refund any fees due to illness.

We have an evacuation plan for emergencies and incidents in place. In case of an accident, a First Aider will attend to your child while another member of staff will call medical help if necessary. When possible please let us know by email, phone call or Famly that your child is unable to attend their session at least 4 hours prior to the session start time.

Covid sickness: Please make sure that you keep your child at home if any of the Coronavirus symptoms are found. Please only bring your child in once a test has been done and the result is negative. In the event of a positive result, please isolate for ten days and do not bring your child into nursery in line with Government guidelines.

Do you provide any food or snacks?

We advise that you pack your child a nut free lunch, snacks and a water bottle in their bag.


How do I know my child will be kept safe?

All our staff undergo enhanced DBS checks. Wild about Play staff perform high quality and regular risk assessments on equipment and procedures to ensure everything is maintained to the highest standard. Safeguarding is of paramount importance to us. All staff will undergo safeguarding training and we have a Designated Safeguarding Lead who will audit all of our safeguarding procedures.


How do you use your data?

All personal data is stored securely in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulations. Under GDPR we will ensure that your personal data is processed lawfully, fairly and transparently without adversely affecting your rights.


Have any more questions?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact and we will be happy to help.


Curious learning and creativity EYFS at WIld About Play